The tern incident response involves a description of a process of handling data breach and cyber-attack in an organization. It included a way in which a company tried to manage a cyber- attack and their rule violation result. The main motive for incident response is to manage the damage limited so that time for recovery, cost, and reputation of the brand is kept least. Every organization must want at least one incident response plan. For this, many organizations work for providing cyber security incident response services to their clients. The plan should explain what an event is for the firm and give a clean, directed method when an incident happens. In addition, it is suggested to identify the teams, employees, or volunteers answerable for handling the complete incident response initiative and the people who undertake every act indicated in the incident response plan. The incident response consulting services are designed to help in the protection from data harm or a cyber-attack in the IT infrastructure of a company. The incident response is handled by a cyber-incident response team or CIRT. It generally involves the IT, law, human resource, and public relation department member’s staff. CIRT is a group that is responsible to answer for each important security breaches, viruses, and another disastrous event in a company. In an incident response team, apart from a technical specialist they must include the specialists who help the company’s officers on suitable communication in such events. There are a few steps for making an effective incident response:
- Preparation: The essential level of incident response is creating a predictable breach of security. This will help the company in knowing the service of CIRT and make sure about whether they can respond to an event or not. It should include policy, plans, strategies, communication, documentation, tools, access control, training, and experienced members.
- Identification: It is the method through which we can detect the events. It involves the rapid action taken against the event in order to decrease the cost and damages. IT professionals use different monitoring tools, error messages, and exploring systems for knowing the events and their effects.
- Containment: This step involves the damage protection that occurs from any event. This step is divided into two categories
- Short-term containment
- Long-term containment
- Eradication: This step involves eliminating the threats and recovering the affected system into its previous state by reducing the loss in data.
- Recovery: The recovery step involves testing, observing, and authenticating system by keeping them again into creation to check whether they are re-infected.
- Lesson learned: This is an important phase used for future events and helps in improving from further attack.